To whom it may concern,
I am a disabled transgendered man (FTM). I visited your bar (Spirit, Canal Street, Manchester) on Friday 30th April. I went to use the toilets but found the disabled toilet locked which I understand you need to do as anybody would use it if it was left open so I went upstairs to use the normal toilets. Whilst queuing up I was abused by other customers questioning whether I was using the right toilet, obviously you can’t control what they say but when I went into the male toilets I was met by a toilet attendant. He refused me entry and told me to use the female toilets, I refused and he got very aggressive with me, trying to shove me out of the door. My friend told him that I was in the right toilet to which he replied with continued aggression towards us both. I said if he didn’t let me use the toilets I would complain as I have every right to use the male toilets. After me and my friend argued with him, he finally let me use the toilet. As I said at the beginning of this letter I am disabled which means I need assistance from my friend unfastening my trousers, the toilet attendant shoved his arm in front of my friend and tried to pull him away, as you can imagine my friend got angry and stated that I am disabled so I need help, which he shouldn’t of had to do. When leaving the toilets my friend stated that we shouldn’t have to put up with abuse from him.
We used the toilets again later on, the toilet attendant apologised to my friend which is a good thing but he should have apologised to me as I’m the one he refused. But there should not have been any need for apologies because I shouldn’t have been treated the way I was. I am presuming he is a member of your staff as one of the security men was seen speaking with him. If he is then may I suggest you speak to him about having respect for transgender customers as I doubt I’m the first to be treated this way.
I hope you take this complaint seriously as I find it quite disheartening that I’ve had to have a bad experience in a gay bar when it’s supposed to be a place where I can be myself and not be judged.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.
Jake Herrett
No comments:
Post a Comment